Going into the apartment complex having more confidence and
having an idea of what we were going to do with the family today I was very
excited. We got into their family room again with much enthusiasm by them that
we were there; they were ready to have another good meeting with us. We talked
about the different types of weather patterns we were use to. It being a snowy
day they did not like the great Iowa weather. They were explaining to us how
they are us to how hot it is in Iraq and us being shocked all thinking no way
would we be able to live in that part of the world just because how hot it is.
As they were probably thinking we are crazy for putting up with the cold for
some many years of our life already. We also talked about the different types of
ways to travel by cars with expressways and highways. This was our first time
we really had to explain something completely new to them. Wahab was very
interested in how we have to pay tolls on some roads and not on others. He asked which one I liked better and I
never really had to think of this. I normally just get in the car and drive
knowing where my final destination would be and never really thinking about the
way I was getting there. This threw me for a spin. I had to sit there and think
to myself the difference. Wahab brought up many points on how different it is
and ways he would go about something like this. Giving me new ideas about
things I never thought about. Yessin this time was more active to he was
showing my two partners his toys and wanting them to play with him. He brought
out almost every toy he had. His mother did not know what to do with him
because of how much fun he was having showing off all his stuff. Rasha indulged in some conversation but
not much because she is still learning English she has been attending classes
for English and showed my partners some of her work. They asked if she needed
any help and she did not need much. Rasha would ask us the difference between
some words and why words were used the way they were and in their different
tenses.
After
the meeting I was thinking to myself we are suppose to be helping them not them
helping us. I thought this because they are making us think about our culture
in ways we never have. They seemed very comfortable with the new life they are
living and I could not be happier for them. I was just in aw about how they do
not realize probably how much this is affecting me in such good ways. I use to
not really be to found of dealing with other cultures but they have made me
realize how great of a country we live in and how to look at things in a
completely different way. We have blended our two cultures together were we are
able to make jokes and laugh about dumb things that I thought were oh so easy. This is when I really started to enjoy
this project.
No comments:
Post a Comment